How to Store Books Correctly
For many avid readers, having an at-home library has always been the dream. But as your collection starts to grow, it can be difficult to find a place to store your books. When choosing your storage location, it is essential to never sacrifice the safety of your books. Keep reading this blog for must follow book storage tips.
Tips and Tricks for Storing Books Long-Term
1. Determine Method of Storage
There are two very common storage methods for storing books:
- Shelves: If you have the storage space in your home, it is never a bad idea to utilize a bookshelf to store your beloved collection. The best kind of bookshelf for the job should allow the books to stand vertical without risking the chance of the books falling and getting damaged.
- Storage container: Another option for storing books is in storage bins. A storage bin is a smart solution over cardboard because it offers a barrier to pests and vermin and will not disintegrate over time. When putting your books into the storage container, place them inside standing vertical. This will help to support the spine of the book and keep it from getting warped. Never overcrowd the storage containers, as this can damage your books.
2. Deter Pests
Many different kinds of insects and rodents would love to make a home out of your book collection. To prevent this from happening, soak a cotton ball in mint and place it anywhere mice are likely to venture. The smell will chase mice away, keeping your books damage free. Never put the cotton ball on your book collection as this can damage the books.
3. Keep Books Away from Food
When lounging around and reading, it is common to snack on some food from time to time. Unfortunately, paper is absorbent and collects crumbs, smudges and grease from food. This is not only not good for the books, the smell of food can attract pests to your storage location. To keep your entire collection safe from hungry pests, never store books that have been exposed to food.
4. Utilize a Climate Controlled Storage Unit
If you do not have the space in your home for your book collection, consider a climate controlled storage unit. A climate controlled storage unit will keep a steady range of temperature to protect your books from a dangerous and unsteady environment.
Store Your Books in a Climate Controlled Storage Unit with Brentwood Self Storage!
Are you looking for a book storage solution in Brentwood, CA? Store your books in a storage unit with Brentwood Self Storage! Our storage facility has a variety of climate controlled storage unit sizes, ideal for any sized collection. Reserve a storage unit today!