Hiring Movers Versus a DIY Move: The Pros of Both Options
On your moving day, a moving company can help to take a lot of stress off of your shoulders. But with hiring any company, hiring a moving company poses some risks. For many people, the risks outweigh the benefits and they choose to do a DIY move. Really, both options work and really it just comes down to your moving situation and preference. Keep reading below to find a breakdown of the pros of both options!
The Pros of a DIY Move
- Saving money on professional movers: If you’re looking to cut corners on cost, you may benefit from doing a DIY move. Different professional moving companies will have different price models, but as with anything, it can add up quickly. Depending on the distance and complexity of your move, a DIY move can save you hundreds to thousands of dollars.
- Move on your own schedule: When you hire a moving company, you get locked into a certain range of hours they’re available for the day. This limits you, because if you’d rather move at a different time in the day or on a different day, there may be a fee involved. Doing a DIY move gives you more freedom to move when you’re available.
- Potential for communication errors: If you packed before your movers arrived at your house, you likely know which items are in which boxes, but your movers may not. Unless you tell your movers which boxes have fragile items, or label the box as fragile, your movers will not know. This can increase the chance of your items getting damaged.
The Pros of Hiring Movers
- Will not have to rely on help from friends and family members: If you do not hire movers to help with your move, you will likely have to rely on help from family members and friends. On the day of your move, if something comes up and some of your movers aren’t able to make it, you may be out of luck. When you hire a moving company, you have greater reassurance that they will be there the day of.
- Professional advice: When it comes to moving your treasured and valued items, you really can’t put a price on professional advice. For example, one issue that isn’t uncommon to run into is fitting obtusely shaped items out of the doorway. Professional movers have experience and will know what to do if your sofa gets stuck in the entryway.
- Less work on you: When you do a DIY move, besides packing up all of your items and organizing the move, you also have to physically move each item. When professional movers are hired, you can save the muscle work for them.
Reserve a Moving Truck at Brentwood Self Storage!
If you’re looking for a way to cut down on costs, but still want professional help, consider renting your own truck for professional movers to load. This is a smart way to still have the benefit of hiring professional movers while cutting down on moving expenses.
Did you know that Brentwood Self Storage offers moving truck rentals in Brentwood, CA? On your moving day, let Brentwood Self Storage be your one stop shop for a moving truck, storage unit and moving supplies! With many different popular storage unit sizes, including the 5x5, 7x10, 10x10 and 10x20 storage unit, we are sure to have the perfect sized storage solution for you. Reserve a storage unit with Brentwood Self Storage today!