Moving Packing Tips for an Easy Move
Whether you decided to move voluntarily, or are being relocated for work, the military or another reason, moving can be very stressful. Once the decision has been made to move, it is easy to get overwhelmed by all that has to be done. While this is normal, there are a few helpful steps you can follow to make the move a little easier. Are you interested in learning more? Check out our step by step guide below!
Moving Tips and Checklist
- Step 1: Start as early as possible
- Step 2: Ask for help
- Step 3: Avoid mixing items from different rooms in one box
- Step 4: Always use new boxes
- Step 5: Book your movers ahead of time
6 Moving Tips and Hacks
- Start as early as possible- Even if your move will not take place for a half a year, start looking for things you can do now to help out. For example, start sorting through your house and pulling out items you no longer need or do not want to bring to your new home. Keep in mind that the more you’re able to get rid of, the less you have to bring.
- Ask for help- As your moving date draws nearer, never be afraid to ask for help. Whether it’s packing boxes ahead of the move or moving boxes the day of your move, a little help can go a long way.
- Avoid mixing items from different rooms in one box- When packing your boxes, never pack items in one box that belong in all different rooms. This will make unloading the boxes much more difficult.
- Always use new boxes- While this tip is necessary when simply moving boxes, it is especially important if you plan on later storing some of the boxes. Used boxes may have suffered from water damage or have a food odor, which can attract pests.
- Book your movers ahead of time- In order to ensure you get the best price for your moving day, book your moving company at least two to four weeks in advance. When booking your moving company, make sure you look into reviews. Moving scams are very uncommon but not unheard of. Additionally, ask if the company is insured, for a copy of the policy and what equipment is supplied with your rental.
- Pack an essentials box- Any items you will need as soon as you get to your new home should all go in one box. For example, items such as: cleaning supplies for the bathrooms and kitchen, daily prescription medicine, chargers and toiletries should all be included in this box. In order to keep your essentials box from getting lost in all of the other boxes, transport it to your new home with you and not in the moving truck.
Reserve a Household Storage Unit for Your New Home!
If you’re moving to a new home, you may benefit from a storage unit rental. A storage unit rental is a great option for situations where you are downsizing homes or just want some extra storage space in your new home. Brentwood Self Storage has a state-of-the-art storage facility in Brentwood, CA. If you’re looking to store a few items to make space in your home, consider the 5x5 or 5x10 storage unit. For storing items from two to 3 rooms, consider a 10x10 or 10x20 storage unit. Reserve your storage unit today!