How to Store a Couch in Storage
There are many different reasons you may be looking to move or store your couch. Maybe you are moving soon and are using temporary storage until your new home is ready, or maybe you are upgrading furniture pieces and looking to store your older furniture. Whatever the reason may be, it is important to properly move and store your couch to prevent damage from occurring to the furniture pieces. Interested in learning more about the top tips for moving and storing a couch? Read below!
How to Store Furniture: 7 Tips for Moving and Storing a Couch
- Tip #1: Ask for help- Never attempt to move a couch on your own. A couch is large, bulky and very difficult to move. Attempting to move a couch on your own can result in injury to yourself or damage to the couch.
- Tip #2: Know how big the couch is- Measuring the couch before you move it will not only help you to choose the best exit route and can help to prevent your walls from getting scratched, it also will help you to determine how big of a storage unit you need.
- Tip #3: Clean the couch- Even if you aren’t planning on storing the couch, it is still important to clean it. Life happens, and if things change and you do decide to store it, it is important that it is clean. When cleaning the couch, lift up all of the cushions and vacuum away any food, crumbs and hair that you find. Once it has been vacuumed, use a mild detergent or steam vacuum to clean the couch.
- Tip #4: Take apart unconnected pieces- When moving a heavy item like a couch, it is helpful to try to make it as light as possible. Remove the couch cushions, pillows and legs if possible.
- Tip #5: Use a couch storage bag- Prevent dust, dirt and more from getting on your couch while being moved and stored by using a sofa storage bag.
- Tip #6: Store the couch horizontal- In order to prevent damage from occurring to the frame of the couch, it is necessary to store it horizontal. Storing the couch on its side can not only result in the couch falling and damaging other items in the storage unit, it can also hurt the couch.
- Tip #7: Use a climate controlled storage unit- When storing an item that is sensitive to fluctuations in temperature, like a couch, it is essential to use a climate controlled storage unit. Fluctuations in temperature can cause mold or mildew to form on the couch, which can cause permanent damage.
Reserve a Brentwood Self Storage Unit for Household Storage!
Need storage in the Brentwood, CA area? You’re in luck! Brentwood Self Storage has a storage facility in Brentwood, CA, with 5x10, 10x10, 10x15, 10x20 and 10x30 storage units in both traditional and climate controlled options. Reserve a storage unit with Brentwood Self Storage today!