Dos and Don'ts of Long Term Storage Units
Looking to take an adventure? Move abroad? Or declutter your life? Sometimes, it can be freeing to just try something new without sacrificing everything you have worked for in the past. Long term storage can serve as a perfect compromise. You aren’t weighed down by all of your belongings, but you can rest assured they are there when you need them.
Dos: Long Term Storage Tips
New to self storage? You aren’t alone. We understand that it may be intimidating to rent a storage unit. But, with a little thoughtful preparation, you can make your budget spread further and protect your items, so you don’t have to worry about things while you are gone. When it comes to long term storage, below are some tips to help you make the most of your space.
1. Do: Clean and Prep your Belongings - The goal is to preserve your things for the entire time you’re using self storage. Wipe down furniture and remove any dust or debris. Wax, polish or oil any pieces that require this type of additional maintenance.
2. Do: Cover Your Items - Items that are breakable or prone to damage should be bubble wrapped or wrapped in newspaper. Larger furniture items can be covered in tarps to protect them from dust and wear and tear while in storage.
3. Do: Protect Documents and Electronics - If you plan on storing electronics, try to put them in original packaging or in air-tight containers that prevent condensation from forming over time. Documents are also susceptible to damage from moisture. Keep these important papers sealed and secure.
Don’ts: Long Term Storage Tips
Still a little unsure? While it’s important to know exactly what to do when renting a storage unit, it’s equally important to know what not to do. Below are some tips of things you don’t want to do when it comes to renting long term storage.
1. Don’t: Rent Too Large of a Unit - Renting too large of a storage unit will accumulate unnecessary costs. For help choosing the best sized storage unit for you, check out our storage unit size guide.
2. Don’t: Leave Large Furniture Assembled - Bed frames, couches, tables and shelves can take up a lot of space. By disassembling these large items you can maximize space and save money by renting a smaller unit.
Reserve Your Long Term Storage Unit with Brentwood Self Storage!
Are you looking for a long term storage facility near you? Claremont Homes has a storage facility in Brentwood, CA with 5x5, 5x10 and 10x10 storage units! Reserve a traditional or climate controlled storage unit today!